Express
Zoom | 4WD Action | Fast Fours | Aussie Brutes | HPI | Xtreme Holdens | Hot4s | Street Fords | Extreme Street | Caravan & Motorhome | Magstore
Back to Street Commodores Home Back to Street Commodores Home Current Issue
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Burman
SV6 Member

Unhappy Can't open my car, please help :( [UNLOCKED !!]

Hey everyone.

I havent driven my car for about 5 weeks, and i thought i should start it today and give it a wash. Problem is, looks like the battery has gone flat (Optima D34 dry cell yellow top). So it wont unlock with the remote on the key, and even when i put the key in the lock and turn it, nothing. I did dead lock it last time it was driven is that the problem??

Short of calling RAC which im not a member of anymore since i dont have a license and thought i wouldnt need them, is there anything i can try?? Could it be the battery in my key ? I cant get into the boot because of my stereo and no boot lock, and the bonnet is closed.

It's a vy monaro if that helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Burman; 05-10-2007 at 02:22 PM..
Burman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
shiftee86
SS Member

Send a message via MSN to shiftee86 Send a message via Yahoo to shiftee86

i would have thought the key should open the door anyway, always has in my experiences anyway (mate used to drive for RAC batteries and took me on quite a few jobs as he was on 24/7 call out.. thats rather odd
shiftee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Burman
SV6 Member

Thats what i thought. I tried both my key and the spare, and i got as close as i could turning it both ways short of breaking it in there.
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
jet_350vx_vy
Banned

Ride: VN SPAK

wedge the top of the door out with an screw driver(the pro's use an air bag like the doctors use on a blood pressor thing) , then pull the button with a piece of wire ! looks bad when you do it, the door has to pop out a bid but all good after!!!!, that or smash a window
jet_350vx_vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Burman
SV6 Member

Yeh, thought of both ways, but i'd find a way to stuff it up. I just keep thinking of that RAC song. "You need a house brick.... house brick...."
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Yiddo
SS Member

Ride: Custom HQ / Daily: WRX
Send a message via MSN to Yiddo

Its piss easy like explained above how they use the little air bag to pump it up. Then you just need a hook shaped object to hook underneath the lock. The problems occur when you dead lock it. You then need to short the wire in order to open it then.
Yiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
commodorenut
'The Oracle'
Technical Member

Ride: Too many!!

Can you jack up the car?

If so, connect a spare good battery up. To do this, connect the negative terminal to a good metal point (front K frame).

Then get a helper (or yourself with the remote) to briefly connect the + to the starter motor, on the big terminal with the fat battery lead going to it, and press the unlcok button, then remove the wire.

You don't need jumper leads or a huge cable, you're not starting the car, so normal hookup wire will do, as long as you don't leave it on too long (or it will carry current from the full battery to the dead one & heat up).

This should give enough power to at least unlock the car.

Yes my inbox is full. Click on the 'send email' link in my profile to contact me (use a valid email).
commodorenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
Burman
SV6 Member

Hmm, guess RAC will get a call next week. Cant be bothered today. Might buy myself a battery charger too.
Unread 03-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #9
thegrimVPII
SV6 Member

Ride: VX Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burman
Thats what i thought. I tried both my key and the spare, and i got as close as i could turning it both ways short of breaking it in there.
So cars that allow you to remote/electronically deadlock the doors don't let you undeadlock and unlock with the key? thats retarded!
thegrimVPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
muttley383
VIP

Ride: VR 383

Open the boot, remove the luggage compartment light globe and inject 12v into the socket. This should give you enough power to open the doors.
muttley383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #11
Oface
SV6 Member

Ride: turbo L67

This happend to me the nrma opened it up with the key not sure if I should post how
Oface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
hxstatesman
Executive Member

Ride: VR Calais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oface
This happend to me the nrma opened it up with the key not sure if I should post how
put it in the lock and turn

Thats how most keys work.
hxstatesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
DUB
SV6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenut
Can you jack up the car?

If so, connect a spare good battery up. To do this, connect the negative terminal to a good metal point (front K frame).

Then get a helper (or yourself with the remote) to briefly connect the + to the starter motor, on the big terminal with the fat battery lead going to it, and press the unlcok button, then remove the wire.

You don't need jumper leads or a huge cable, you're not starting the car, so normal hookup wire will do, as long as you don't leave it on too long (or it will carry current from the full battery to the dead one & heat up).

This should give enough power to at least unlock the car.
Beat me to it. Although I'd just use jumper cables instead.

Can't understand why you can't unlock it manually though. The key is the fail-safe method after all.
DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
charged_s

Send a message via MSN to charged_s

You should be able to open it with the key still ??

a few mnths ago my ss battery died completely and even tho i dead locked the car, the key still unlocked it.

It takes alot of effort as obviously the door motors arent going to work.
charged_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
Oface
SV6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxstatesman
put it in the lock and turn

Thats how most keys work.
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
MattP
SV6 Member

Ride: VT

My battery died completly once aswell, both keys wouldnt open the doors. But was able to open the boot and with luck the middle seat part was down...

Might be a flaw or not sure? But your not the only one.
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
Vx_Clubby
Executive Member

Ride: VxClubby 309rwkws

cant you just open the boot and go through the rear seat somehow?
Vx_Clubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #18
SSFiffty
Executive Member

Ride: SS Fiffty

With the dead lock system all you have to do is turn the key anti-clockwise it will require a bit of effort but it does un-lock. Holden would not design a car that you could not open if the battery was flat. The dead lock system does not require power to unlock it. As for what was said above about prying the door open, and pulling the lock up.. get into a commodore with the dead bolt system, lock it then dead bolt it and try to get out!!!!!!! The idea of the dead bolt is even if the windows are smashed in, you still cannot open the door........
SSFiffty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #19
Burman
SV6 Member

vx clubby: monaro's have a 2 seater in the back, ie: no middle bit to go through. Not to mention the 4 amps and 2 subs bolted there blocking my way. Plus there is no boot lock on a monaro and the battery wont pop it

ssfifty. I have turned the lock as hard as i can both ways, it wont go past a certian point. Turning it hard clockwise made a loud noise, and i had to jiggle the key out, but still no luck

charged s: Its work for me before when the battery has gone flat, ive put the key in and it opened the door. But i have driven the car once in 2 months so the battery is well and truly dead.

Last edited by Burman; 03-10-2007 at 05:42 PM..
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #20
Burman
SV6 Member

I think i'll just jack the car up and do what commonut said, seams to be the cheapest way around it. I might even see if i can just reach the terminals with a car charger but i doubit it. Will keep everyone posted
Unread 03-10-2007, 05:44 PM   #21
SSFiffty
Executive Member

Keep trying it mate... Maybe pull on the door handle at the same time. I know from experience its hard to turn the key but it will open.. the door will pop out a little, then you have to unlock it normally ( I think.... was a few years ago when i had to do it ) it almost feels like you'll snap the key off i can remember that much.
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #22
SSFiffty
Executive Member

If you still cannot open the door there may be a different trick to it, in this case call your local holden dealer and ask to speak to the service dept, and ask them on how to unlock your munro, it won't cost you a cent, well maybe a phone call, but they should be able to help you.
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #23
Oface
SV6 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFiffty
Keep trying it mate... Maybe pull on the door handle at the same time. I know from experience its hard to turn the key but it will open.. the door will pop out a little, then you have to unlock it normally ( I think.... was a few years ago when i had to do it ) it almost feels like you'll snap the key off i can remember that much.
yeh thats how the nrma guy did it you pull up on the door handle a little and turn the key at a certain time and it will pop up
Unread 03-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #24
Devil CV8
Executive Member

Ride: my business

ah $$$$ it. the forum isn't worth it

Last edited by Devil CV8; 08-09-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #25
HSV271
Executive Member

Ride: ...

Use a rock, that'll open it. Bahahahahahahah
HSV271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
Burman
SV6 Member

Hmm, sounds promising (not the rock idea ). I'll give it a go in the morning. Does anyone know if its a bad idea if you buy a battery charger to leave it on all the time. So the battery never gets flat. Battery is a dry cell.
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #27
iwannabrock
SV6 Member

Ride: vk in build,ford laser.

you need a charger which automatically cycles between on and off,as you don't want to overcharge your battery.
iwannabrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #28
VSClubby355
VIP
Technical Member

Ride: My own fleet of Commodores

Buy a float charger. Something like the ctek. Leave it on all the time.
Unread 03-10-2007, 07:56 PM   #29
KAL SPL
Super duper mod

Disconnect the battery terminals completely once you get it recharged.

As far as opening it now , getting under the car to hook power to it is your best option.
KAL SPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #30
W2ttsy
Executive Member

Ride: VY acclaim

as per the holden manual from my VY acclaim. "to open the the vehicle manually after it has been deadlocked either by remote key fob or key, turn the key anticlockwise twice."

this means that you will need to turn the key anticlockwise, then back to return it to the start point, then rotate again. each rotation should be a 180 degree turn from top to bottom. first rotation undeadlocks, second unlocks. It works for me. Your alarm will go off though as the remote overrides the key. To disable the alarm, turn the ignition to acc (on in a VY).

you can also lock a car using the key by turning it once clockwise to lock and a second time to deadlock.

W2ttsy
W2ttsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #31
Burman
SV6 Member

w2ttsy: Just gave that a go. Didnt work. Im sure it would if the car had a charge but it did nothing.

I have also tried sneaking up behined my mums car and pushing unlock, to supprise it. That also didnt work. I have yelled at it also, again to no avail. My mate works at holden so ill call him tomorrow. Car is right up against the wall so jacking it up is going to be hard, and a trolley jack wont because the car is too low. Scissor jack for the win.

EDIT: Where is the best place or best brand of battery charger? Im thinking supercheap but i dont know a shit one from a good one.
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
KAL SPL
Super duper mod

Maybe give the key to a mate and get him to drive 5 blocks away then get him to ring your mobile and make him push the unlock from where he is while you put the phone up to your car.
Apparently that works but in this case it might a long shot
KAL SPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #33
Devil CV8
Executive Member

Ride: my business

ah $$$$ it. the forum isn't worth it

Last edited by Devil CV8; 08-09-2008 at 06:25 PM..
Devil CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #34
Burman
SV6 Member

Im turning pretty bloody hard. I swear the key is about to bend. I also tried opening the door at the same time.
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #35
The_Plague
SS Member

Ride: VY Clubsport R8, Twin Turbo

Weird mate, the battry in my Clubby is constantly running flat, and I seem to be able to turn the key to open the door everytime.

Get a brick, glass is easy to replace.
The_Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #36
Over-Speed
VIP

Send a message via MSN to Over-Speed

Quote:
I have also tried sneaking up behined my mums car and pushing unlock, to supprise it. That also didnt work.
HAHA GOLD.

Can't understand how that didnt work though Shoulda scared the shit out of it.
Over-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #37
DVT23Q
Executive Member

Ride: VT Commodore

Quote:
Im turning pretty bloody hard. I swear the key is about to bend. I also tried opening the door at the same time.

it may seem hard and like you are about to break it but im 99% sure that holdens have it set in so the dead lock opens it even when the door is dead. i have done it to a vx como that had a flat batt for 5weeks :P lol.. the key wont snap, just give it a bit
DVT23Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
thegrimVPII
SV6 Member

Ride: VX Wag

Quote:
w2ttsy: Just gave that a go. Didnt work. Im sure it would if the car had a charge but it did nothing.

Shouldn't need a charge though

Maybe the lock is jammed or something. I know in my VP (yes a few models behind but same concept) I had to kinda force the key clockwise to unlock at some point and some WD40 fixed this.

I dunno, I thought the drivers lock was mechanical. But maybe it's different on later models.
thegrimVPII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
theduclos
SS Member

if you are buying a charger to keep the batteries charged at all times it mean you will have to leave the bonnet propped open wont it? why dont you just get a normal charger and leave the bonnet just unlatched. at least then if the problem re-occurs you have battery access to hook your charger up to.
theduclos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 01:31 AM   #40
John_Drake
Executive Member

Ride: '88 VL sl n/a 6 manual

Use the brick pick-up line on her...

Hit her with a brick and she cant say no

heh heh heh... let the dodgyness comence
John_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote